Thursday, July 24, 2008

Philly More Dangerous Than Kabul?

Wednesday night, the evening before my trip, I witnessed a gang shooting in South Philly. In fact, I was in the middle of it. I was at a stop light when all the sudden a pack of kids came riding by on their bikes. About 30 feet in front of me they all started to fight. I put the car in reverse to get out of there. A tall skinny kid in a white t-shirt pulled out a gun and started shooting. I heard pop, pop, pop, pop, and a bullet whizzed by the car. Everyone scattered but one kid who got shot in the leg. The shooter started walking my way then he ran away. It was over in 30 seconds. It is amazing how fast this happened and how close I came to being killed.

Pleae don't tell my mom about this, she would only worry!

6 comments:

deborahdel said...

Hi David, Glad to hear you survived Philly - will be looking forward to reading more of your daily adventures. DebbieDel/ols

Anonymous said...

Wow! Holy Crap David. Never a dull moment with you. Looking forward to reading about the trip. Be safe and enjoy.

Chris Mangold

Unknown said...

geez, David, so scare us half to death and without even leaving the U.S. Sorry you got hung up in Atlanta. Yuck. Stay safe. Peace SueS/resland/ols

food-ie mike said...

wow, you drama queen!

hey, dont forget to photo & report on the food you eat during this trip. Im sure that Im not the only one interested. Oh, and Happy bday man!

Becky S said...

Right--definitely take some food pics.

Glad you're safe!

Dean Browne said...

What? you almost got shot by a kid in a long white tee? In Philly? Nah :)