Saturday, August 2, 2008

Beer Running in Kabul

Greetings from Afghanistan where I actually did a beer run! I hooked up with the Kabul chapter of the Hash House Harriers and ran through the streets of Kabul. Did I just read that Jon was

complaining about running in a little heat? First of all, Kabul is 6000 feet above sea level and the
altitude really kicked my butt. I felt like a first day runner. Not to mention running past open sewers, weaving around goats, women in burkas, guards with AK-47s, and puzzled looking people.

An armoured SUV trailed us and the team leaders carried guns. It was a memorable and surreal experience. In the drinking and hazing circle at the end, we drank beer to the sound of a mosque's call to prayers and a mine explosion.



It just goes to show you how people strive to create normalcy out of chaos. It is quite remarkable that there are so many normal activities going on amidst the danger. I sat in gardens, restaurants, and even a mall. There are constants reminders that this is a war zone as I saw armed guards, police, armoured SUVs, and the occasional International Assistance Force convoy.


A Hasher is given his new Hash name and is dowsed with beer, flower, and eggs.

2 comments:

S and M said...

OMG- first of all, your pictures are amazing. only u would already be running with the hash house harriers in kabul! we need team leaders with guns, i mean we got the muscle but after your experience in south philly i think we should step it up a notch. what beer did u guys drink? keep us posted...

Unknown said...

I love the pictures, and can't wait to see more. Rub a goat on the nose for me.